Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Comments from Readers

Since the book launch in November, many readers have written to share their reactions to The Unveiling. Some readers found the book's characters interesting. They are based on real people, some of whom appear in the picture to the right taken in 1954. (Names left to right: Leah Rubin, Anna Rubin, Corrine Rubin, Yetta Rubin and Allen Rubin.)

It’s been great hearing from people, and I hope I’ll be hearing from more of you.

Following are some of the comments from readers:

A book for all generations - "The Unveiling is a book for all generations to read and digest. The Burin Family could have been my family's experiences in Eastern Europe before relocating to America and most specifically Pittsburgh. I cannot wait for my family, friends and grandchildren to read this compelling book by Leah Rae Lambert about the dreams, fears and accomplishments of three generations within a family".
Ann Stone, amazon.com review - 5 stars
Jacksonville, FL

Most Poignant Revelation How One Family Overcame the Family "Secret."  It was a wonderfully written book. The stories of the early days of Jewish immigrants in Pittsburgh were authentic and personally meaningful. It also brings out the stigma of those times in dealing with mental illness in one's family.
Reader Review - 5 stars
barnesandnoble.com

"I want to take minute to thank you for "The Unveiling." This is quite a story and I assume an important family memoir though fiction. I especially enjoyed the shtetl experience and the coming over. I learned about Jewish custom (didn't know what shiva was - I'm from KY) and a language that seems to have music and humor. The MI and stigma issues are tough and don't go away and few of us will cope as well as Ettie. I see this thoughtful book as a song of hope where hope is badly needed. You are a good story teller. Write another."
Charlie Sanders
Austin, Texas

"Fabulous book… During a recent cottage stay I simply could not put the book down and was, at times, very moved. What a story! There are so many facets and perspectives captured with such incredible insight!
The book deserves to be a bestseller!"

Sigrid Fessor
Toronto, Ontario


"I just finished reading The Unveiling Friday night. I found the book extremely meaningful and was struck by so many things in it. Above all, the book reminded me that there is a story behind every person. Of course I know this, but it was almost a renewed revelation...The book made me realize that mental illness is not something that a caretaker “leaves” anymore than one leaves other difficult challenges that come along in life. And as you show in your book, the support of those around us carries us through life’s bumps. I was struck by that part of the story in your book. Leah, congratulations on your book. I enjoyed meeting the people in it."
Yolanda C. Padilla,
Austin, Texas

"I read The Unveiling over the holiday period. A great read! It presents a fascinating array of characters, and knowing that at least some are based on real people, I want to know more about them."
Marge Kelley
Toronto, Ontario

"I finished The Unveiling and I found it fascinating. I couldn’t put it down once I started it! Ms. Lambert should write more books as she has quite a gift. I am really glad there has been progress in recognizing mental illness as an illness to be treated and not to be hidden. There are parts of the story where I could identify with Ettie."
Naomi Rymer
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

"I have just finished reading your wonderful book and want to tell you how very much I enjoyed the family story, the history and the mental health commentaries. You have woven huge topics together in a very special style. Not easy. Bravo! "
Celia Rasmussen
Toronto, Ontario

"A compelling novel, The Unveiling tells the true story of the author’s family, with her grandmother and her mother as the heroines. It is an inspiring tribute to the strong women who endured persecution, poverty, and the misery and stigma of the mental illness of a loved one."
Sandra Gold
Toronto, Ontario

"I finished your book and thought it was really wonderful. I love historical work, so the chapters on [Ettie's] early life were fascinating.  It is amazing what some people have had to live through... That is a chapter in history that I'm sure most people know little to nothing about, so I think your book fills an important gap. The rest of the book was so interesting, well written, and so emotional... I'm sure there were times when you found it really difficult to write, and I congratulate you for persevering... your story resonates on many levels. All in all I think it is truly a great book and one that I would read again. "
Susan Healey
Guelph, Ontario


"Just finished your book…What a wonderful testament from [a} family suffering from mental illness but unable to get the needed help to cope with the many problems/situations. This is a problem that needs to be addressed."
Gloria Cornell
Toronto, Ontario

"I just turned the last page of your book and just wanted to say how much I enjoyed it. You are a terrific writer. I know this one has personal meaning but maybe you'll write another.....I'd read it! Congratulations."
Sandra Hoshooley
Toronto, Ontario

No comments:

Post a Comment